Sunday, June 19, 2011

The DNB logo




There has been some negative feedback on this logo, and as far as I know. Not much positive.
Firstly there is the price. Said to cost somewhere between 150-170 million NOK, that’s about 15-17million pounds. From this, the company will get 13-17 million NOK (1,3 – 1,7 million pounds), just in fees.
(Reference - http://www.kampanje.com/markedsforing/article5633224.ece)

I find myself wondering (considering that Snøhetta design is a company within Snøhetta, which is a well known, even world known architectural design company) if this price includes a fabulously designed new building aswell…?

I’ve got nothing bad to say about Snøhetta. I was at a talk they had just this year, and although a bit eccentric for my taste, I respect their thought process, considerations and designs.
But I can’t understand the price tag… I know great design should be valued and it’s not only the price for the logo, but still. Over 150million NOK! How much do the charge for a building then?

But back to the logo.
http://www.kampanje.com/markedsforing/article5633922.ece

- dead boring
- lacks character
- aggressive
- childish
- lacks the right values

People aren’t agreeing on what’s wrong, just that IT’S wrong.
“Is a simple, clean and tidy solution[…] But it doesn’t tell me anything about what the company does. ” - Designer Marius Renberg

Can you find a bank logo (in Norway) that tells you that it’s a bank, when you removed your preconceived notions about it? I can’t.

“This doesn’t have to be an indication that a new profile process is required. It’s more a reminder that the real profile is created through longevity and consistent work over weeks, months and years to come ”
- Geir A. Skomsøy (http://www.kreativtforum.no/?ID=Community&guid=adbf8d9d-6ebc-4931-a105-689f34c2bfe2)

In short, advertising…

I feel quite indifferent to the new logo, but I find it unfortunate that it’s not more exciting and bold.
Take a look at this logo.

I can’t help but notice a striking similarity to the DNB logo.
Here is their web page: https://www.nordnet.no/mux/web/nordnet/index.html
Take a look, and feel free to notice that DNB is a partner with this company.
Was the new logo design to have a connection to this company or is it just a lucky/unlucky fluke?

No comments:

Post a Comment